Spoke with @jessewatters on @wattersworld ( @foxnews ) about the increase in anger and disrespect we are seeing today.
Keep in mind anger is a secondary emotion which means that it is usually a cover for a more vulnerable emotion like fear or sadness.
Here’s what you need to know.
• Anger is a healthy normal emotion, it is how you express it that is the problem. Too many people in the society do not understand the healthy expression of anger. .
• We don’t have enough healthy expressions of anger in our day-to-day lives. When we do not talk through all our rage, it leaks out in our day-to-day interactions in unhealthy ways. .
• When people do not feel seen, heard, understood or respected, (especially when they have held in their anger for a long time) they tend to disrespect authority. .
•We live in a society of poor in boundaries where we have gotten less used to being undisciplined with our emotions .
• Because we have gotten so used to instant gratification, we have the come incredibly impulsive. Society rewards this impulsiveness with headlines and reality television attention. Raging bad behavior- like a table flipping and screaming at others- has become normalized by reality TV. .
• Social media encourages us to rage anonymously. We can hide behind that anonymity and let our rage out, which enflames the rage of others and perpetuates the cycle. .
• Anger is a power emotion and there are so many people who feel disempowered in this day and age. Sometimes being in touch with that aggressive energy can feel powerful. .
#anger #rage society #impulsive #aggression #jessewatters #wattersworld #foxnews
Fox News Channel, LA Bureau